Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Douchey McDouche-a-lot

Last night I had a minor run in with someone in management at the restaurant. I was working dinner service alone because my partner was setting up for a party. I had a few tickets up and I was a little behind on some because of an error on one of the tickets. I had to wait until I got the correction. While trying to take care of the late ticket, another ticket for a cookie plate printed up. Cookie plates are no effort at all, but I decided to finish what I was doing and send the cookies out right after. While still trying to finish the late ticket, the general manager came up asking about the ticket. Perhaps he does not intend his tone, but I really do not find it respectful. I do a lot of work for very little money. It shouldn't be hard to approach me respectfully. I didn't say anything to him, instead I grabbed the ticket and the cookies and handed them to him. I assume my body language revealed my feelings because he then asked, "Is there a problem?" He didn't ask in a way to reflect real concern. Instead, he asked in the manner a teacher would use to cut down an ill-mannered student. I will not accept anyone talking to me in this manner, especially in a work environment. I do not care what position you hold in the workplace hierarchy. So I replied "no" and gave a brief rundown of the importance of the ticket he interrupted. Please keep in mind that I do not mind the interruption. I mind how I was interrupted. If the stupid cookies were to be rushed, he should have added that to the ticket OR have said he needed them now in a more polite tone.

In the end, he did not say anything further to me, instead he talked to Chef. What exactly he said, I do not know. She came up and asked how things were going. I knew why she was there so I basically asked if she was visiting because someone called her. I then explained the brief exchange. She then told that this guy is the general manager and warned me to watch how I speak to him. She then said something about having heard other people claiming to have issues with his tone at times, but she has never witnessed it. I somewhat doubt that, but Chef is far better at not rocking the boat than I (oh, and she is the Pastry Chef afterall, so I doubt he would ever be patronizing to her.)

1 comment:

Jvclaire said...

True Story!! We have a similar situation at my work. There is a teacher who has been there a while and therefore has some measure of seniority, etc. She has a terrible, superior tone of voice whenever she speaks. As much as she insults others with her talking over and down to them, she is also the most sensitive person. If you are two minutes late, or she catches you in any public place on your cell phone, she will totally yell at you. Argh!