Thursday, June 19, 2008

Ch-ch-ch-changes

I have been "promoted" to daytime. This is not a monetary promotion, so don't get too excited for me. About 2 weeks ago I started working the daytime shift. I know I sound like a whiner, but starting work at 7am really sucks. I have sacrificed showering for the sake of sleep. With enough deodorant and regular teeth brushing I am sure no one notices. ;-)

Working mornings has a number of positives. I am working a new station so I get to a learn a whole new slew of desserts and sauces. I can work and not worry about anyone getting up my ass. I really don't have a problem with my boss or the pastry sous chef, but it is nice to work without them around. You can make your own schedule of tasks and do those tasks as you want without anyone eyeing you. I don't get out early (sometime between 5:30pm and 6:30pm) but when I do leave I see the nighttime crew and think "Suckers!" I have the opportunity to meet up with friends after work.

There are many negatives, of course. I hate mornings. I hate waking up early. I hate having to function on little sleep. To get the proper amount of sleep, I have to go to bed before prime time television ends. I take the subway during peak times, so I never get a seat after being on my feet for almost 12 hours straight. My work hours keep me from getting lots of errands done because a lot of places are closed by the time I get out of work.

I told Chef I would give mornings "a try". Soon she and I will discuss if I want to go back to nights. Unfortunately, 2 morning people have resigned and 2 others will be away for a month. We're going to be so understaffed that I will cave in and tell Chef that I'll stay on mornings.

1 comment:

Jvclaire said...

The meet-up after work factor must be great though - I like to get work out of the way and have the rest of the night to myself!